The buzz around the Welsh National has started to ramp up so just which of the runners looks like a real contender to win the race in 2023?
Welsh Grand National
2023 RACE INFO
WHEN IS THE NEXT WELSH NATIONAL?
27th Dec 2023
THE CORAL WELSH NATIONAL
GET £40 IN BONUSES WHEN YOU STAKE £10
New 18+ UK customers only. Register using the promo code WELCOME40, deposit and place first bet of £10+ on Sports (cumulative Evens+) within 7 days of registration. First bet must be on Sports. £30 in Free Bets and £10 in Free Spins (50x20p) credited within 10 hours of bet settlement. Free Bet stakes are not included in any returns. Bonuses have a 7-day expiry. Payment restrictions apply. SMS verification and/or Proof of I.D and address may be required. Full T&Cs apply. begambleaware.org. #ad. Please bet responsibly.
ODDS & RUNNERS 2023
Antepost odds listed on this page are taken from Betfred on 20/11/2023. No horse is guaranteed a position in the race until the final declaration stage. Check the odds with your Bookmaker before placing a bet, as fluctuations occur. Full Terms and Conditions for the promotional bet offers can be found on the respective websites – read them before you sign up.
It's still a bit early for our tips for the 2023 Coral Welsh National. Currently, 'Monbeg Genius' is leading the pack as the favorite among bookmakers, and it's easy to see why. Trained by Jonjo O'Neill, this impressive seven-year-old has already secured three wins at Chepstow, showcasing his prowess as a steeplechaser.
Be sure to check back closer to the race date for a comprehensive overview of all the runners and riders, along with some expert tips to guide your choices
The Coral Welsh Grand National, affectionately known as the "biggest raceday in Wales," holds a special place in the hearts of racing enthusiasts and stands as one of the United Kingdom's most iconic National Hunt events.
Traditionally scheduled for December 27th, this post-Christmas spectacle captivates not only seasoned horse racing fans but also those seeking a thrilling way to conclude the holiday season.
Nestled in the picturesque landscape of Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales, Chepstow Racecourse has served as the home for this iconic race since 1949.
The course's proximity to the Welsh-English border ensures that it attracts spectators and participants from both nations, adding to the event's cross-border appeal.
At the heart of the Coral Welsh Grand National is a demanding steeplechase that spans an arduous distance of approximately 3 miles and 6½ furlongs, equivalent to about 5,875 meters. The racecourse's undulating terrain, coupled with 23 fences, puts the equine competitors and their jockeys to the test.
The winner can claim a prize purse worth £80,000, which entices top-quality horses, trainers, and jockeys to vie for the coveted title. This financial incentive adds to the allure of the event, making it a highly competitive and sought-after race.
The Welsh Grand National's winter timing often subjects participants to challenging weather conditions. Cold temperatures, rain, and soft or heavy ground only amplify the race's difficulty, creating an environment where only the most resilient and determined contenders can prevail.
Over the years, the list of winners in the Coral Welsh Grand National has grown to include legendary names in National Hunt racing, including: Native River, Synchronised, Dream Alliance and Silver Birch.
The race is not merely a sporting event; it's a cultural and social occasion that brings together racing enthusiasts, families, and friends to celebrate the holiday season in a unique and exhilarating way.
WELSH GRAND NATIONAL NEWS
STATS & TRENDS
Understanding the stats and trends of the Coral Welsh Grand National can help you make informed choices. Here's what history tells us:
Age: Horses aged 6 to 8 have often done well.
Price: Favorites don't always win, but looking at the top 3 in the betting can be a good starting point.
Last Run: Horses that have won or raced recently (within 49 days) tend to perform better.
Course Experience: Knowing Chepstow Racecourse helps. Look for horses that have run or won there before.
Distance Experience: Horses that have raced over long distances (28 furlongs or more) tend to do well, especially if they've won at that distance.
Chase Experience: More experienced chasers (at least 5 previous chase runs and 2 wins) often perform better.
Rating: Higher-rated horses (131 or higher) have a good track record.
Graded Wins: Horses that have won in grade 1-3 races before have a slight advantage.
Season Form: Horses with at least 2 runs that season and at least 1 win tend to be strong contenders.
Future Form: Keep an eye on horses that win or place in the Welsh Grand National. Quite a few of them have gone on to perform well in the Aintree Grand National.
These are practical insights that can help you when you're looking at the horses for the Coral Welsh Grand National.
TICKETS & PRICES
As the excitement builds for the 2023 Coral Welsh Grand National at Chepstow Racecourse, securing your tickets becomes a crucial step in ensuring you don't miss out on the thrill and tradition of this prestigious National Hunt event. Whether you're a seasoned racing enthusiast or a first-time visitor, understanding the ticket options and prices is essential for planning your day at the races.
In this guide, we provide you with a comprehensive overview of the ticket categories and prices for the Coral Welsh Grand National, allowing you to make informed choices based on your preferences and budget.
From general admission options to premium packages and exclusive hospitality experiences, there's a ticket to suit every racegoer's needs.
Admission - Advance
- Access to public bars, eateries, and betting outlets.
- Views of the racing action, including the parade ring and pre-parade ring.
- Book 6 or more tickets and receive a £2 discount per person at checkout.
PRICE: £34 EACH
Admission - Premier Advance
- Access to premium areas on the course.
- Best bars and best views of the racing.
- Access to any live entertainment.
- Book 6 or more tickets and receive an extra £2 discount per person at checkout.
PRICE: £42 EACH
The View Restaurant
- Enjoy traditional surroundings in a glass-fronted restaurant with stunning views of racing.
- Private table for the whole fixture plus access to all public areas.
- Champagne reception.
- Delicious four-course menu designed by award-winning chefs.
- Entertainment throughout, including a tipster host and tipping competition, table top magician, and a caricaturist.
- Convenient bar and betting.
- Hospitality admission ticket and raceday program.
PRICE: £250 EACH
The View Restaurant - U18
- For children aged 17 and under. Please note that children must be accompanied by an adult.
PRICE: £125 EACH
Trackside Marquee - Early Bird Offer
- Enjoy a table to return to throughout the day in a heated marquee overlooking the home straight.
- Full access to all public areas.
- Hospitality ticket and raceday program.
- Reserved seats for you and your guests to return to throughout.
- Flat-screen TV screens showing all home and away racing action.
- Welcome drink.
- Guest tipster.
- Lunch: Two-course carvery.
- Private bar.
- For later: Cream tea.
- Book early to save money. Shared party tables of 10.
PRICE: £149 EACH
Trackside Marquee - U18
- Accompanied children aged 17 and under. Welcome drink will be a soft one.
PRICE: £99 EACH
Hospitality - Balcony
- Enjoy the best views of racing overlooking the home straight and finishing post.
- Private box with unrivaled views of racing.
- Champagne reception.
- Buffet menu prepared by an experienced chef.
- Private bar facility with various options available.
- Your own member of staff to look after your party throughout.
- Convenient Tote betting facilities.
- Hospitality admission ticket and raceday program.
- Great access to all public areas to soak up the atmosphere.
PRICE: £250 EACH
Please note that there may be minimum and maximum booking requirements for certain ticket types, so it's advisable to check the Chepstow Racecourse website or contact their ticketing office for the most up-to-date information and availability.
Tickets & Booking
- Booking in advance saves an average of £5 off the gate price.
- Extra tickets can be purchased on the day online or at the gate via card payment.
- Tickets are sent via email, typically two weeks before the fixture.
- E-tickets can be scanned from mobile devices; printing is optional.
- Ticket refunds or transfers are only available for fixture abandonment or event cancellations.
- Enclosure transfers are possible on the day, space permitting and subject to upgrade fee.
- Typically gates open two hours before the first race, earlier for major events like the Welsh National.
- The racecourse and outlets close shortly after the last race, except on themed race nights with music.
Travel & Entry
- Smart casual attire is recommended, with formal dress codes for premier tickets and hospitality.
- Coach groups are welcomed, with allocated parking.
Food & Drink
- A variety of bars and food outlets operate.
- Personal alcohol and barbecues are not permitted.
- Outside food and drink are not allowed.
Betting & Payments
- Betting options include the tote and on-course bookmakers.
- Bookmakers accept cash and some debit cards, but there are no cash machines on the course.
- Dogs, except for assistance dogs, are not allowed at the racecourse.
- Flash photography near horses is prohibited.
- Photography for personal use is allowed, but commercial photography requires prior permission
The Welsh Grand National, first held at Ely Racecourse in Cardiff in 1895 and now a celebrated event at Chepstow Racecourse, boasts a rich history filled with remarkable achievements and notable champions.
This prestigious race, often characterized by its challenging conditions, has been a platform for several famed horses to showcase their endurance and skill.
Among these champions, Corbiere stands out for his victory in 1982, followed by a triumph at the Grand National at Aintree in 1983, exemplifying the caliber of competitors the Welsh Grand National attracts.
In 1983, Burrough Hill Lad claimed the title, a horse renowned not only for this victory but also for winning the King George VI Chase and the Cheltenham Gold Cup, highlighting the race's significance in identifying top-tier steeplechasers.
In the late 1990s, Earth Summit emerged victorious in the 1997 Welsh Grand National, conquering the heavy conditions. His remarkable abilities were further cemented when he won the English Grand National in 1998.
The 21st century continued this tradition of excellence with Synchronised's win in 2010, a precursor to his Cheltenham Gold Cup victory in 2012.
In more recent times, Native River's triumph in 2016, leading to a Magners Gold Cup win in 2018, and Potters Corner's victory in 2019, the first Welsh-trained horse to win since 1973, have added new chapters to the race's storied history.
The Welsh Grand National has not only been a stage for equine stars but also for remarkable human achievements, as seen in 2018 when 16-year-old James Bowen became the youngest jockey to win the race, a testament to the enduring allure and competitive spirit of this iconic event.
FREE BETS & PROMOS
BET GOODWIN NEW CUSTOMER OFFER
50% BACK AS A FREE BET UP TO £25
ON FIRST DAY LOSSES
18+ New UK customers only. Offer valid for new Betgoodwin customers aged 18 years and over. 50% of first day losses refunded as a free bet. To be credited within 24 hours. Max free bet per customer £25. Minimum of 3 bets of £10 or more on separate events at odds of evens (2.0) or bigger to qualify. First day losses equals all settled stakes less all return before 23:59. Free bets must be used in their entirety and stakes are deducted from returns. Free bets are non withdrawable and to be credited within 24 hours. This offer can not be used in conjunction with any other Betgoodwin opening offer. This offer is limited to one free bet per person/household/IP address. Betgoodwin reserves the right to withhold, restrict or cancel this offer from individuals in accordance with Betgoodwin Terms and Conditions 11.8 & 11.9. Full T&Cs apply. begambleaware.org. #ad. Please bet responsibly.